This love poem section is dedicated to all those
whose hearts I have had the privilege to share in discovery, delight,
despair and, yes, even death. They all have an especially tender
place in in my heart, yet the one whose love and "soft hand touched
spark to tinder in my heart and set the flame of love alight" is
singularly cherished and enabled me to learn to love, to trust and to
be loved. It is with life's finest feelings then, now and always,
that I dedicate this page to Elaine Windham Queener.
- What many months that grew to years have
- Since that soft hand touched spark to
tinder in my heart
- And set the flame of love
- That love, quite like a
- With quiet plume, burned on with warmth
from day to day.
- Was like the moon and stars or dawn to dusk
- With sudden emptiness, no warm reflecting face
returned the light.
- The flame shrank back from sharp, cold,
winkless stars of night.
- The days and nights
- Their times and places kept.
- Till years swept by like
- Multitudes of feet and faces
- Filed by to note the fire burning low
- Yet carried on as though they noticed not.
- Then, from within the passing
throng, a pause.
- Two feet passed close to
ponder why the fire burned so low.
- Fanned by the north wind,
- Leaped the flame to warm and
light the hope
- That seemed so near yet stood
afar and glowed so dimly that the blaze,
- Though bright, could not
illuminate the night
- And to its former self
- However cold ensuing nights
- The fires height had warmed
the fuel so,
- That even though the will
to live had fled,
- The warmth
- And urged the flame to grow
and light the way
- For someone's unseen
- Softly dusk became the
- Yet more softly came a shadow
that would use
- The fire's dim but steady
- Slow at first, but with a
- Burned the flame, illuminating
beauty that the shadow held.
- With modesty and feeling the
fire and the figure
- Exchanged each other's light
for light until the radiating glow lit brightly
- Two diverging paths that they
- Time and fortune pulled them
on their separate ways
- Till only darkness camped
about the flame.
- But seeing that in dimness lay no strength
- The flame took faith and burned on
- Sustained by patience and humility of that
- Now the fire has a clean and steady flame
- That burns with increased brilliance when
the need is great
- Or dims a bit when the slings and arrows of
misfortune bow it low.
- Yet, however bright or dim the light or
warm the glow,
- Its power lies within the fuel of faith it
- Alive hands,
- Strong softness, caressing,
- Reaching to fill needs
- Of small heads, small hands
- Flying into flowered meadowlands of growing
- And on.
- Alive heart,
- Though it break-mend-break giving love, living
- Alive faith,
- Knowing kneeling seeing walking blind in His
hand in Him
- In His love.
- Alive eyes,
- Radiant or tearful, filled with
- Glimmer glint glow-share the hearts
- Tender sad wonder joy feelings.
- A window on your wonder person.
- Alive touch,
- Warm gentle giving caring lips.
- Calling telling wonder beckoning
- To be one in communion of
- Alive mind,
- Sensing scintillating singing
- Flying with me, around me.
- Moments musing memories soft in my
- Alive you,
- yes, alive you.
- You are the most alive person I
- And love.
- Day, night, night, day,
- Time spun the earth but my heart and
- Echoed within me and I was but a
- A hot wind blew and swirled parched dry
- That are life without love . . . .
- I live!
- I love!
- The cool swift sounds,
- That make life the exuberant hope that it
- Shout, pound, ripple, and caress the silent
sands of life
- And love.
- Be loved.
- Love till your heart bursts with
- And fills the crisp clear air with a
- That only two can sing.
- One day as I stood in the sun by the sea
- On top of a sandy hill,
- There came to my ears the sound of soft wings
- When all the world was still.
- I looked up from that place on the earth where
- With my feet in the warm white sand,
- And beheld in the sky a beautiful bird
- Sailing in from the sea to the
- The bird circled over my head in the sky
- And seemed to say as it flew
- Tell me your thoughts on the things you have
- And I'll tell you of my thoughts
- I fell in love with the beautiful bird
- That soared so close in the skies.
- I fell in love with its elegant grace
- And beautiful bright dark eyes.
- I extended my hand to offer it rest
- From softly circling above.
- I extended my heart in a way I thought best
- And called to it all of my love.
- The bird looked at me with a look that was
- Then looked far out to the sea.
- I knew that the bird had another love there
- And that it could never love me.
- I lowered my gaze to my feet while I heard,
- In the cool of the evening light,
- The bird fly away with my heart on its wing
- Far into the gathering night.
- The wonderful bird had returned to its love
- Far over the restless tide.
- There I was left with the sound of the sea's
- Soft whispering by my side.
- I stood there and pondered the first of my
- I was grieved by the loss of my love;
- But the feelings remaining deep in my soul
- I have cherished no others above.
- Dearest Reba,
- I mean it, Reba,
- From the bottom of my heart
- I mean it.
- I think that we could learn to live,
- To love, and care.
- I think that we could learn to see,
- To know, and share.
- But love's not blind to other love,
- Though sad it is.
- I'll stand aside, yet love no less,
- And let Your love be his.
- We can remain the very best
- Of friends, I trust,
- Continue on each day and do
- The things we must.
- We'll meet to paint, discuss, or talk,
- Or just to think.
- I can be sure you understand
- By when you wink.
- Still if sometime your thoughts should change,
- I would they could,
- Thus welcome you with open arms
- And heart, I would.
- Till then I'll be a friend in deed.
- Oh, were it more!
- I love you, Reba, very much,
- Just as before.
- Many of these thoughts you know and
- Some you must live to understand.
- I hope these thoughts I cherish can help you
- Live life more fully, more deeply.
- They concern whomever you love.
- Trust, Reba, trust.
- Trust your love in each small thing.
- Then trust in peace when trouble's
- Trust him, Reba, always.
- Hope, Reba, hope.
- Let hope carry you Through joy and
- Hope for a better tomorrow.
- Search for the good in today.
- Hope, Reba, together.
- "Faith, hope, love, Abide these three,
- But the greatest of these is love.
- So love, Reba, love
- Love with a boundless joy that fills your
heart and soul.
- Love with a reasoning love that examines every
- Love with a thoughtless love that needs no
- Love him every day as if it were his
- Love, Reba, deeply.
- Trust hopefully
- Hope continually
- Love all you can
- And pray.
- Reach out to life
- And love.
- Know your life and love
- With every fiber that you are
- And then stand back a bit in awe
- Of what two souls can do.
It Takes Great
- It takes great strength
- To love and lose
- And live to love anew.
- It takes great strength
- To love to live
- And think of others, too.
- It takes courage,
- Compassion, hope,
- To resolutely stand
- And let the winds blow
- As they may
- Across life's shifting sand.
- It takes true love,
- A higher kind,
- To love with all your soul,
- Then refuse
- To live that love
- But set another goal.
- It takes wisdom,
- Strength and love
- Compassion, hope, and trust.
- I pray that I may have
- Each one
- To bear the grief I must.
- A book
- Of words,
- Of thoughts
- Of wrong And woe.
- The words could
- True tragedy
- But stop
- Just short
- To let one think
- How power of
- Made it be.
- The lies
- That tried
- With love
- To cover up
- The love
- That tried
- To fill the half-full
- I see
- These words
- Yet on beyond each leaf I
- When one does
- A greater grief;
- A hurt
- That's felt
- From deep within.
- A pain
- That's passed,
- Though woe it is,
- From kith to kin
- An anger
- Fraught with futile
- A rage
- For wrong
- Done as if 'twere
- Or worse,
- A wrong
- That knows it's
- But will
- Not shout to
- That will not
- Cry out in the
- For light.
- You see
- These travesties of
- I know.
- I thought,
- You'd like
- To see,
- To know,
- I know.
- As love is given, loved and lost,
- Discovered hoped and found again,
- As kinder feelings fresh and fade
- And sometimes turn to pain.
- As emotions lived each day
- Become the one you are
- Your life is made of things unseen
- Gathered near and far.
- Gather in with each lost love,
- As years are made from days,
- An understanding kindness
- With soft and tender ways.
- Learn to loose yet love again
- Joyfully at best.
- Let love triumph if you can.
- It's loves severest test.
- Yet, Marcia, as you live,
- Please remember I'm remembering and
- "Love comes in its own good
- Dearest Donna, troubled soul,
- God has made you less than whole.
- Formed and molded all of us
- Part unfinished, created thus.
- Take your life, the one you know,
- Torn and tattered, crumpled so.
- Smooth it out and look a bit.
- Stand with me and ponder it.
- I see with each unsightly tear
- Understanding crouching there.
- Each small wrinkle means to me
- Loving, feeling, sympathy.
- I feel that only warmth and love,
- Helped with guidance from above,
- Can lift a spirit trodden so
- Crushed and wounded, bowed so low.
- Help me, Donna, love that way
- Easing hurts that dim each day.
- Helping footsteps as you learn.
- Asking nothing in return.
- Let my love be willing hands
- To help you walk life's shifting
- Undemanding brotherhood,
- Understanding, understood.
- It took great strength for you
- That love, just love
- Can't make a marriage
- Not all the love you
- For faith in all its aspects
- Provides the stone to build
- A lasting understanding
- That God with love has
- You need the faith that tells
- Beyond a shadow of a
- There's only one man for
- The one that you pick
- The faith that God is with
- To help where we must fail
- To set our keel right again
- And swell a lifeless
- A faith that storms and sorrow
- When met in later years
- Will bring a bright tomorrow
- Instead of bitter
- Oh, love, all faith I'd give
- Yet this I can't begin.
- For faith like this, as you
- Comes from deep
A Card Given
- It's clear
- for all to see,
- It's vivid as the
- colors of a
- that when an
- apprehends its full
- and its sweeping
- LOVE is visible only
- the feeling heart
- reaches out to
- May this very
- special time
- bring you
- joy !!
- I'm Gaining altitude of late.
- Things are a rarer blue.
- I owe to God my newfound height
- But the wings I owe to you.
- I miss you this evening my darling
- Intensely with all of my heart.
- I yearn for the sound of your
- These days when we must be apart.
- Tonight when a moment of peace was
- Free from the doing and din
- Your presence and loving demeanor
- Flooded my heart from within.
- I desire, I crave and I hunger
- For the love and the touch of your
- I will it. I wish and I want you.
- I covet your company rare.
- Caresses of fingers and kisses,
- The warmth and the voice of my
- The thoughts and the moods of my
- I want and I wish to be here.
- I miss you a lot there's no
- All the hours of darkness and day.
- But this eve all my senses are
- Mon amie, who is far, far away.
you like to share your feelings about this poem?